Eating for Optimal Cognitive Functioning
Our brain regulation is made up of a numerous number of factors, from how much sleep we have had, to the amount of stress in our life, to how much water we have drunk etc...
However, the number one influential factor comes down to our diet and the foods we are consuming. A poor diet can equate to a low level of brain power and concentration.
Therefore, your food choices are one of the most influential variables you can control that relates to your health, vitality and precious functioning of the brain
FUN FACT - Your brain is the fattest organ in your body and consists of at least 60% fat (NCBI 2009)
Therefore, polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats are vital in a humans diet.
Polyunsaturated fat - found in plants and animal foods they include, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids (healthy fat)
Monounsaturated fat - are liquid at room temperature but start to harden when chilled
10 foods that naturally increase your concentration and brain power:
- Avocados - high in monounsaturated fats, help to protect brain cells
- Spinach - rich in brain protective antioxidants and supporting good blood cells
- Almonds - high levels of healthy omega3 fatty acids
- Dark Chocolate - rich in polyphenols and helps to improve blood flow to the brain
- Kale - rich vitamin and high in iron and potassium
- Walnuts.- omega 3 fats and supportive of your brains gut bacteria
- Eggs - yolks are rich in choline, which assist in making acetylcholine a neurotransmitter that is important for maintaining memory and communication
- Wild Salmon - a natural source of omega 3
- Olive Oil - protective antioxidant
So next time you reach for the dark chocolate you can rest assured that it is vital to your brain health and functioning!
Photo Credit: @pinterest